Monday, February 21, 2011

Where Art Meets Math...

A friend shared this amazing video with me recently....





Isn't that cool? The artist who made that, Vi Hart - Mathemusician, has more amazing videos here.


I showed that to the kids (ages 6, and 7...my 2 year old was napping). They were ready to bail on it at first but then she started drawing and they were hooked. After it was finished they wanted to try it too.  So did I!

Here's what I drew...
(You wouldn't believe how hard it is to try to make
hearts in different sizes all the exact same shape...
Just makes me even more impressed that the
Mathemusician can do that with ELEPHANTS!)


And here's what my 6 year old drew...




My 7 year old drew some too, but he drew them on dark blue construction paper in pencil, and it doesn't photograph well.  Plus he's not finished.

Really enjoyed this and plan to do more!  You know, when I was a teen I thought of myself as a "creative person" (still do), and saw math and science as the polar opposite to that. But over the years I've learned that it isn't.  Math and science can be useful tools to help you express your creativity.



Shared on Littles Learning Link Up

5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for joining us for FAT Tuesday Artist Spotlight! Wow! I love your blog--I especially enjoyed reading this entry. I liked the video spot, too. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love these! How fabulous! Like Mandelbrot theory! Perfect for Maths!! Love it and love seeing some "crafts" coming through for older kids! Hooray!

    Thank you for linking up to Kids Get Crafty!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this activity I have neve tried any thing like this before and I agree love seeing things from older children. Thank you for sharing on Monkeys Dooles.

    Adele

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun! Math + Art? Doesn't get much better than that! :D

    ~Michelle @ 5MFSN

    ReplyDelete
  5. hhmmm will have to check this our further...my daughter loves to draw but hates math

    ReplyDelete